Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Gotta love night shifts

Hey there Trillian, greetings out to Manhattan!

It's now 5am and I am sitting next to two residents at the desk of the higher beds in ED1, the attending standing on the other side at the counter of the desk. They are discussing bike models and bike trails. We have a total of three patients on our side, two of which will be discharged soon, one going up to the floor. Unfortunately, patients usually start pouring in around 6am, otherwise we would have a 0 patient signout. I did do some suturing today, one of them on a breast. I had never done that before. With the quality of the tissue there, I wished I had been able to do some subcutaneous sutures. Because it was very hard to avoid wrinkling of the skin with there being quite some tension on the tissue yet the surface being soft. She had apparently been stabbed with a screwdriver, just like her mother and another patient actually brought in as a trauma alert.

As Trillian already said, we are preparing to go to a Broadway musical, the Lion King, later today, at 2pm if possible. In less than two hours, our shifts will be over and we will have to attend conference. I did not read more than three or four pages of this week's Rosen's chapters. Oh well. Today we should also be having our exit interviews. I'm looking forward to talking to Dr. G. about our nine-week rotation. I also regret very much having to leave now, right after getting very comfortable with pretty much every resident and attending here. The atmosphere around here is great. We have been having a lot of fun earlier when the attending on this side, Dr. T., made my forearm and abs twitch with a TENS unit. If any of you guys are reading this, thank you for the great time. I'll miss you guys.

Before we leave though, it seems like we'll be putting together a semi-decent two-day farewell party. On Thursday and Friday, which is - oops - tomorrow and the day after tomorrow - all residents and attendings are invited to our place in Manhattan and it seems like a lot of the 78 people on the guest list will actually attend. Yay! Which reminds me - I need to staple all the 60 copies of the quiz I had copied in the EM office. Talk to you later, readers!

(Btw.: Still no new patients on this side - docs still talking about bikes. Hehe.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
My Photo
My Photo
My Photo