Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Another long day.

I know I shouldn't be doing this since I have 6.5 hours until skriehma's alarm clock is going to rip me from my dreams but I do want to jot down some notes on these past 20 hours.

Firstly, we were not supposed to work yesterday and this morning, since we're supposed to be "awake" for conference from 7a-12p this morning. But since The-Artist-Formerly-Known-As-Vertigo-Girl (we need a shorter and cuter nick) is going to arrive on Thursday, we spontaneously decided to ask Dr. G. to switch Tuesday with Thursday and work yesterday. The official reason we gave was of course that we wanted to avoid sharing the EDs with four other medstudents again like we did on Monday night. It worked, we were just three total last night.

We got up two hours earlier than we had to yesterday though, to be able to watch House from 9p-10p and the season premiere of Nip/Tuck from 10p-11p before our shift started at 11p. The House episode was strange and not that enjoyable (and we had to fend off an attending who insisted on watching some "finale" of "big brother" .. crazy Americans) and we could not see Nip/Tuck at all since they didn't have that channel in the residents' lounge.

So we went on to the shift, which was very slow but had some very sad cases. A 23y/o hispanic woman lost her husband and cousin today in what appears to have been a hate crime. She was in the ED since she had "only" been hit in the shoulder while her husband was shot twice in the face. She has been crying all night in her bed, with no one of us, naturally, being able to offer any meaningful cosolation. Another three year old kid who spent the night in ED2 lost both parents to another shootout tonight. At 6:30am a patient came running from his assailants and when I was done suturing his stab wound to the head (tonight was obviously not a good night to be on the streets) skriehma and I had to rush to the Braker Building to take the Rosen's Quiz. There, I realized that actually reading the chapter makes you very cofident in your answers and you start opposing the majority of the people around you. Not a good thing. The board review, lecture by Dr. S. on aortic aneurysms and department meeting afterwards were somewhat enjoyable, but the lecture on dementia by a psychiatrist was simply painful to endure. Luckily we were in the last row and had the support of the other medstudents around us in complaining about the boring lecture, who by the way were taken out of conference one by one today to do their exit interviews.

Allright, but now I really must hit the shower, 6.25 hours until skriehma's alarm clock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
My Photo
My Photo
My Photo