Saturday, July 30, 2005

Finally not a suture virgin anymore.

Even though I wouldn't really need the signature for it anymore in light of the amount of "bonus credits" I have accumulated, I decided to do that same kind of night shift today that skriehma had written about earlier.

Since exams start tomorrow and I'll have to get up at 6:30 for them I should help my rhythm by going to bed soon. So I won't go into the details of all the patients today, there were about two dozen. I saw, questioned, examined and/or poked into half of them. All but two had had three beers or more. Those two sober ones were the only females. Both about my age, one of them exceptionally attractive (don't worry, no one, not even me, TUBEd her). She was also accompanied by her boyfriend. Athletics student. Tough break.

Anyway I stayed long enough ("over time" yet again) to wait for the first bum to lose his balance and create a nice wound for me to do my first human suture on .. or let's say something that resembles a human being. If in doubt, you were certain he had to be human when you came within five meters of him. Any animal would have jumped into a river before smelling that bad. Thankfully I had to wear a mask for sterility reasons anyway. It did help a bit. Then he din't really take us seriously when we asked him not to move. Well. I may have been a bit stingy with the local anesthetic. Anyway five stitches later the wound was closed. After he lashed out again during the last stitch, that one wasn't well-adapted. With a nurse holding him down I could cut it out again and place a better one. I did enjoy it despite the smell. And it feels good that I was apparently wrong when I thought that my dexterity would never suffice for a decent suture. So plastic surgery may be an option after all? Call me Christian Troy. (Yes, I am currently full of myself. No, that will not change before I sleep for a few hours.)

Good night

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
My Photo
My Photo
My Photo